Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default Any Comments on Rigid Palm Sander

Toller wrote:

Unless you have a really good reason for using a 1/4 sheet sander, and
I can't imagine what that might be, you should get a ROS instead.

I have and use both a 1/4 sheet sander and 5" ROS sander. I started
out with just the ROS, but picked up the 1/4 sheet for the following
reasons:

o) To have another sander ready to go with a different grit of
paper all ready loaded.

o) To handle corners and such that a round ROS sander can't get
into.

o) To be able to use finer grits of paper than are typically
available in the hook/loop variety. Typically the finest grade of
5" hook/loop that's easy to get is only about 220. If there are finer
grits out there, it's not something that can be purchased during a
quick trip to one of the big box stores. However 320 grit and
and sometimes higher are available in full sheets at the big box
stores or at auto parts stores, which can then be cut down to 1/4
sheets sizes. Typically, I use the 1/4 sheet sander with 320.

o) With 320 grit in the 1/4 sheet, I use it as a last pass to
smooth things out before finishing and also to potentially get rid of
any swirly marks that might have been created by the ROS.

Typically I'll run through 80, 100, 150 and 220 in the ROS where I can
quickly change sanding discs and then finish up with the 1/4 sheet and
320.

If I was only going to have one sander, it would be the ROS with a
variety of hook/loop discs as it's fast and easy to switch grits. But
having both the ROS and the 1/4 sheet is better since it provides the
ability to use finer grits that typically aren't available in
hook/loop discs.

remove ".invalid".