Posted to rec.woodworking
bent bent is offline

Default Woodworking Plans

I am not the one to ask, but I recommend staring with learning all th
ebasics, then you will know not only plans are the way they are, but how to
plan something yourself. I think you will be missing out any other way. I
searched for a series of books to cover a lot of ground and I found it. Its
about 42 or so books, each about 120 pages , 5000 total, but large text,
lots of pics, diagrams, tips, plans, etc. It is complete with useful info
and there is a topic for everything. You can whip through a book in no
time, but no time is wasted. You will understand why the grain is that way,
the types of joints, whether glue sticks to a finely sanded wood surface as
well as any other...Not only did I find the series, but the whole thing is
at my library, or 125 of them, where I can order, pick up, drop off, renew
to/from anywhere, online.

Nick Engler.
http://hip.tpl.toronto.on.ca/ipac20/...index=AA#focus

Some are in the series, some are not. They are blue, hard or soft cover.
'The Workshop Companion', ' Techniques For Better Woodworking' is on the
cover of the books in the series. Many titles in the series begin with
'Using' or 'Making', such as 'Making Tables and Chairs'.

A book in the series looks like these ones a the top:
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Nick_Engl...compare-author

Before I went to the library I knew about it and bought one on a table at
Lee Valley.

I know the importance of good plans, and insist on immaculate dimensions. I
also know AutoCAD inside and out, and it makes this faster and better than
you can imagine. And I can do all my cut lists, interpolate dims, etc.
faster than a pencil and calculator. A pencil is your friend.