Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Electricial lights in vinyl siding.

The Streets wrote:
"Terry" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am having vinyl trim put around my eaves. There are two existing
floodlights. I noticed when the installers removed the existing lights
from the box and left the wires connected and the light hanging. They
cut about an 1.5 in hole in the siding and that was it. The light was
then screwed in to the vinyl with one Sheetrock screw.

I told them that an extension ring was needed to extend the existing
box thru the vinyl and mount the fixture on that. They said that they
never do houses like that. Most of houses they do, he says, don't even
have a box. The electricians just run a wire out through a hole.

I can't believe that someone that installs this stuff daily can get by
with mounting light fixtures with sheet rock screws.

I agree that it's not right -- but I see it all the time.

ayup. my house has a light fixture mounted with NAILS. And not
centered over the door, either.

BTW, is a 4" hole saw what I want to cut a round old work box into the
wall?

nate