Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Help! - Snow Blower Won't Start!

Boatman wrote:
I've got a 15 year old Craftsman 5 HP snow blower that until recently was in
great shape. Last season I didn't drain the gas for the summer, I just added
gas stabilizer. Now that Denver is in the midst of a big snow storm, I can't
start the engine. Spark plug was replaced last year. Any suggestions? An
online reference with engine diagrams might be helpful for me because I am
handy, but unfamiliar with these engines. I think if I can at least get it
running somehow, if there are any gas issues they will clear themselves up.

Thanks!

Boatman

Also, float bowl may be full of pretty stale (un-volatile) fuel. Many
small one-lunger engines have a "push-to-pee" valve on bottom of float
bowl to release fuel within. Make sure you have some sort of means of
collecting it below, of course. Another means of draining: unscrew
fitting below bowl that holds main-mixture screw; gently smack bowl
from side to release; drain. Again, caution about collecting fuel.

Stale fuel can make starting _much_ harder than with fresh.