Posted to rec.woodworking
Epictitus Epictitus is offline

Default Air Tools for woodworking

How about...

Air Tools - light weight, compact (good for tight spots), cool (i.e. cold),
can be noisy, hoses/connectors can be a pain, can blow dust back at you from
work surface (sometimes handy feature), ok if your shop is plumbed for air,
compressor noise, longer charge times on big tanks, iffy for torque,
doesn't break your wrist if drill bit gets jammed (more of a steel drilling
problem), high speeds

Electric corded tools - heavier, hotter, not so compact, expensive, higher
torque, convenient, cords are a pain, quick, no dust, high speeds

Cordless tools - nice, limited batteries, dead batteries suck, lower torque,
can be heavy, no cords!, expensive, very convenient, generally lower speeds,
getting much much better

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On 20 Dec 2006 05:20:27 -0800, "keyridge" wrote:

I have a 6.5 HP compressor and looking at purchasing some air tools,
i.e. ROS. I understand the lack of moving parts for the air ROS has a
longer shelf life. Are there other advantages/ disadvantages of air vs.
power tools? Do any of you use air ROS for woodworking? Any recommended
air tool manufacturers for woodworkers? Primarily wood but may use it
on occasion for auto.

An air ROS (often called a DA as well) is an excellent tool. I like
them a lot better than my electric.

A die-grinder can have some uses as well, if you're doing any heavy
contouring or power sanding on a lathe.

The advantage is that you can often get a better tool for less money
by going pneumatic, but the disadvantages are that they can be very
loud (when you consider the compressor kicking on and off,) they're
less portable (you need to take the compressor with, too) and if
you're in a really humid environment and don't have a dryer on the
compressor, they can *spit* a little- and that moisture usually has
some air tool oil in it.

Can't recommend a manufacturer offhand, but the air sanders are well
worth the money, at least in every case I've seen.