Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] ejb@ts-aligner.com is offline

Default gage block accuracy

Hi Larry,

Perhaps your newsreader didn't pick it up. Alexy beat you to the punch
and I already thanked him for the correction. Yep, a micron is 0.001
millimeters, not 0.001 meters. It seems to have been my day to do
things wrong by several orders of magnitude. Glad to know that good
people read these messages and don't hesitate to make sure that
mistakes are corrected.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
After reading through the replies I thought of a few more things to
add.

Sure enough, in many disciplines linear measurements are expressed in
decimal format and even though you don't mention any units, 0.001 is
often referred to as 1/1000 of an inch. Or, if you are inclined to use
the metric system, this would be 1/1000 of a meter - which is very
commonly referred to as a "micron".

Uh, Ed, it is even MORE common to refer to 1/1000 of a meter as a
millimeter. A micron is 1/1000 of a millimeter, or 1/1,000,000
(millionth) of a meter.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -