Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Loctite for wood screws?

If you do go the glue route (which is probably what I would do), ask
yourself if you might ever want to undo the screw for any reason some
day. Epoxies and polyurethane/Gorilla glue would make that job
difficult or impossible; silicone would be a better choice IMO.

Mark

Maybe, however I have been using polyurethane to re-bed the SS screws on the
spray hood of my sailboat.
I remove the spray hood every 2 to 3 years and I do not have any problem to
remove the screws.
I also used Gorilla glue to re-bed screws in wood, presswood and plywood
with no problem.
As long as the Robertson, Phillip or slotted head is clean and the screw
driver has a firm and positive contact with the screw's head it works fine.
Over the years I have learned that it was better to use a old awl to clean
the screw head first
The worst are the Phillip head. A worn out Phillip screw driver is the worst
thing to use especially with a powered driver.
Using Locktite on metal to metal is a different kettle of fish.

"redbelly" wrote in message
ups.com...

RayV wrote:
The hinges on my kitchen cabinets screw into the inside edge of the
maple frame. Each hinge is only screwed to the frame with one screw.
The hinges are similar to these:
http://www.amazon.com/Concealed-Fram.../dp/B000KPZC80

Every once in a while I need to tighten up the screws as they work
loose. So I was thinking of putting something on the screws to keep
them from loosening up. Anybody ever try something that works? I was
thinking a little silicone in the screw hole would hold them and still
be removeable.

Before I read the end of your post, clear silicone was what came to my
mind too.

The real problem here is the single screw holding the frame. This
allows for some rotation, which eventually loosens the screw. How about
replacing the hinges with a better design using at least two screws on
each hinge flange? Of course that could take a lot of time to do.