Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Loctite for wood screws?

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:37:51 -0500, J T wrote:

Wed, Dec 20, 2006, 8:24am (EST-3) (RayV) doth
mumble:
snip Each hinge is only screwed to the frame with one screw. snip I
was thinking a little silicone in the screw hole would hold them and
still be removeable.

Looks like three screw holes to me. I think four would be better.

You ask about silicone, but the subject says loctite. That's an
interesting thought. Personally, I think loctite might well hold, but
could give problems when removing screws. So I nominate you try
loctite, and get back to us on it. All in favor say aye. All opposed
say nay. OK, the ayes have it.

There are different grades of Loctite with different degrees of holding
strength, from "easily adjustable" to "heat it red hot and _maybe_ it'll
come out if you're having a good day".

When using Loctite with wood, go to the Loctite site and read the
technical information--it may need a primer in order to cure, the same
way that CA needs an accelerator.

JOAT
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. - Eric Hoffer

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate