Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Cox Scott Cox is offline

Default unusual bandsaw question

Marc,

I thought about that before. It seems that you would have to build some type
of wheeled carriage for your saw and then a bed with rails for the carriage
wheels to roll on. The bed would be simple, but the carriage could get
complex if you wanted the features that a bandsaw mill has (like adjustable
height, etc.).

I say "Go for it!" .........and then post pictures!

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
(Hey, this is a serious question so all sarcastic responses are
welcome)
Has anyone ever turned their 14 inch bandsaw on its side to make it
into a mini lumber mill, similar to the commercial units that are- or
were- available? I'm thinking taking the table off would be
advantageous (it's a 40+ year old Delta Rockwell machine) but I think
some type of lower guard protection is necessary. On the other hand,
maybe keeping the table would provide a sturdy and significant edge
guide.
Weight is not a factor as I have a very sturdy joist system to suspend
this from and I thought this could be a cheap way to make boards from
logs. Thanks in advance,

Marc