Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Polystyrene Insulation

ken70 wrote:

I have recently insulated under the timber floor (has a void about
18").,
with slab polystyrene. (was free, and the sort used in flat roof
insulation).
The stuff was cut to fit the joists and is pressed down onto tanalised
battens.
Battens are roof lathes and the polystyrene is 50mm.
Extra to this is cooking foil pasted onto the surface This cost less
than £2 for the whole room.
. An attempt to duplicate
aka Kingspan. No vapour barrier other than the foil and not over the
joists.On top is new
chipboard flooring.
My question to you luvverly people is...IS THIS SAFE. Have I got to
undo.

If it is flooring grade insulation then chances are it is treated with a
flame retardent anyway. So it will melt if you heat it enough, but ought
not add to the spread of flames. So if you keepo it out of contact with
any PVC it ought to be ok.

Note that kingspan etc are not the same - they are Polyisocyanurate
(PIR) foam.

--
Cheers,

John.