Richard J Kinch

Default Breaking End Mills

Harold & Susan Vordos writes:

Use kerosene, or
many guys recommend WD-40. I haven't used it, but it appears to have a
solvent base with dissolved paraffin wax in it.

(At the risk of starting another WD-40 war ...)

"Appears"? WD-40 is chiefly a light fraction petroleum distillate (one
MSDS names it as Stoddard solvent) like kerosene but lighter, plus that
coconutty perfume. No waxes, a film of it evaporates at room temp over a
vew days without any residue (thus, while it lubricates like kerosene, it
doesn't last and for that is not sold as a "lubricant"). So it works fine
for cutting aluminum, and smells great doing it, but is expensive compared
to kerosene.

I keep three 1-quart Sure-Shot sprayers in my shop: naphtha, WD-40, and K-1
kerosene. The first and last can't be had at all in a spray can. WD-40 is
cheaper in the loose gallon can, and their spray cans often malfunction.