Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Hill Andy Hill is offline

Default Remove tile "line"?

krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
Howdy, all!

I've got a tiled shower (mostly 4x4 while porcelain tiles) with a "line" of
roughly 4"x1/2" colored tiles running about the 4' line. I changed out the
vanity deck, but now the wife unit sez the tile line doesn't match the deck.

Replace the wife?

Very expensive alternative. Besides, she's right (but don't tell her I said
that -- I got a rep to maintain).

How likely would it be I could pop out the line tiles without trashing the
surrounding tiles? Once I have the grout removed, is there a tool that can be
used to pull the tile straight out, or would I be better off trying to fracture
the tile and take it off in bitty pieces?

Assuming you can do this and I have serious doubts (particularly
with porcelain tiles) what are you going to put there in place of
these oddball tiles?

To be replaced with more oddball tiles, just of a different color. If I can't
find some that will fit the space (before I start demolition), then I go to Plan
B, which is cutting a piece of Arandis granite floor file (which should match
the Arandis deck pretty well) into pieces that will fit the space. I'm not real
crazy about that alternative -- I have my doubts I can keep a 1/2" wide, 3/8"
thick piece of granite from cracking during the sawing process (I've used this
method to make 2" square medallions, but 1/2" is pretty skinny). Plan C is to
"reglaze" the tiles. I'd rather not do that -- I've yet to see a tile
reglazing job I really liked.