Posted to rec.woodworking

Default converting cuting list to materials list... need help

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am looking at a set of plans which has a very detailed cut list and
am a little at a loss to convert that list to a materials to purchase
list. For example, 3/4 x 2 3/4 x27; many such pieces on the list I
have.

Is anyone aware of software that could help me come up with what I am
looking for? Some cutting diagrams would be great too.

The cut list programs are good, but have limitations. You can feed all
sorts of information into the computer, but unless you know what the wood
dealer has in stock, and where a knot may fall, it is of little value. If
the cut list program says you need a piece 6" wide, but you can only find 5"
wide boards, what do you do?

You must be able to figure out the total board feet you need. While a board
foot = 144 cubic inches, 144 cubic inches does not equal 1 board foot. That
example you give mathematically (.75 x 2.75 x 27) comes out to 55.68 cubic
inches, but the real thickness for buying wood is 1", not the finished 3/4".
IOW, it needs at least 74.25 cubic inches of raw wood to start with.

From some experience and perusing some of the available woods, you can
figure out the right combination of boards to buy. That 3/4 x 2 3/4 x 27 is
just over a half a board foot. If you need 6 of them for the project,
you'll need just over 3 board feet, which means you'll probably have to buy
3 1/2 to 4 to get them all. If all you can find is 4" stock, you have
quite a bit of waste. If you find 5 1/2 stock, you have more waste, but if
you find 6" stock, you are in business. You need (2.75 x 2 + saw kerf +
jointing) to get two pieces. One 8' board will do, but chances are, they
come in 10' lengths and you have to buy the full board.

Factor in the other pieces you need. That 4" board is ideal if you also
need some 1" wide parts also. You must take the list with you to verify all
of that stuff.

I figure the total board feet I need, then plan to buy at least 10% more for
waste, even up to 25% in some cases. Some is waste, some is eventually used
for a small project or some other odd piece you need down the road. Some
guys buy extra in case they mess up a part, but since I've never, ever, cut
a piece of wood wrong, I don't factor that in. Nope, no need for me to do
that, just those other guys.