Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] baspluim@gmail.com is offline

Default Light switch accidentally switched

I had a problem that whenever I turned on the light over the kitchen
island, the GFCI of one of the outlets would trip. It turns out the
GFCI is faulty, so I replaced it. So far so good.

However, I must have messed up something along the way. The GFCI outlet
is in the same electrical box as the dimmer switch for the recessed
lights. Now, the island lights won't come on unless the recessed lights
are on! And yes, if I dim the recessed lights, the island lights dim as
well. Obviously, this is not what I want

I am 99% sure I rewired the GFCI outlet the way it was before. I am 99%
sure I rewired the island light switch the way it was before (since
this was easier to do, I tried replacing the switch before the GFCI).
But...obviously I did something wrong.

You can see a diagram of the dimmer/ GFCI outlet box here -
http://baspluim.googlepages.com/main
And the island light switch (which is a 4-way switch) -
http://baspluim.googlepages.com/kitchenwiring%232

I believe the three wires marked as "Back black" in the first diagram
is the same as the "Black left" in the second, but I am not positive
about that (back, left etc. refer to the position in the outlet box,
there are a lot of wires to keep track of....)

A few notes:
- I plugged a light into the GFCI outlet, and pressed the "test"
button. The GFCI tripped as expected, and the light went out. So, looks
like I didn't swap line and load, right?
- The 4-way switch works fine (provided the dimmer is turned on of
course...). In other words, the island lights are off when all three
switches are in the "down" (off) position, and each switch correctly
turns the lights on/ off.

So, what do I need to change in order to make the island lights
independent again? Is it time to call an electrician?

Thanks!