Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default converting cuting list to materials list... need help

wrote:
I am looking at a set of plans which has a very detailed cut list and
am a little at a loss to convert that list to a materials to purchase
list. For example, 3/4 x 2 3/4 x27; many such pieces on the list I
have.

Is anyone aware of software that could help me come up with what I am
looking for? Some cutting diagrams would be great too.

Thanks.

Go to
www.cutlistplus.com and download their free version. The
learning curve is not too steep, and it's really practical. But, it
assumes you already have material on hand that you are trying to use
efficiently. You'll have to start off by lying to it. For instance,
tell the program you have 100 pieces of 3/4 X 6" X 96" in stock (or
whatever width and length you intend to buy). Then put in your cut
list and the kerf width of your saw. It will show you the best layout
to use the least amount of wood. Then, see how many boards it uses and
only buy that many, plus one or two for screw-ups.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle