Paul Amaranth

Default Help Me Pull The Plug

Gary Coffman wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:26:29 -0500, "Peter Reilley"
Consider that every late model vehicle with a fuel pump in the tank
has sparks in there any time the pump is running. They don't go
bang. The reason is the fire triangle isn't satisfied.

Gary

I had an old Volvo that would blow fuel pump fuses at erratic
intervals. Finally pulled the pump out of the tank to find somebody
had left an old float from the level sensor floating in the tank.
Every once in a while, it would float over and short out the fuel pump
and blow the fuse. No oxygen, no boom, but I can't say I was happy to
find it.

Still, bringing any flame around a gas tank requires very careful
thought as to what might go wrong and how to avoid problems. In any
event, you probably wouldn't even hear the boom :-)

Personally, I'd try to avoid that and maybe try to unround the socket
with a dremel and carbide tool a little so a larger tool could be a
hammer fit. Would be slow, but less risky.

Also, see if you can get one of those hammer type impact tools. When
rounding things, bits tend to cam out. When you wollop these things
with a hammer, they'll get tighter and you get some vibration to help
break it free. I've gotten bolts and screws out with one of those
that were totally hopeless otherwise.

Paul