Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Loctite for wood screws?

I do not know what kind of screws or how much threads are going into the
maple wood.
You may have a long shoulder without threads not leaving enough thread
contact with the wood.
The quick fix is to remove the screw wet it with water and apply a little
drop of Gorilla Glue.
Then screw it back in to place and wait overnight before using the door or
doors.
The right way is to remove the screws and doors and insert a wooden dowel
impregnated with epoxy glue. Wait about 24 hours.
Then you have to measure the bottom of the screw thread and select a drill
size to match it. I recommend that you get a screw that has thread up to
its shoulder and make sure it is the right length.
The pilot holes have to be bored perpendicular to the vertical structure.
If you have many holes to make a drill jig would be a real asset. It will
save you time and make sure that you are boring the holes perpendicular (90
degrees) to the surface.
Before inserting the screws apply a little gorilla glue on it. If you are
using a drill to drive the screws make sure that the toque is adjusted as
not to strip the wood. It would be best to practice on a scrap piece of
wood first to validate your drill bit size and driving toque.

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "RayV"
wrote:
The hinges on my kitchen cabinets screw into the inside edge of the
maple frame. Each hinge is only screwed to the frame with one screw.
The hinges are similar to these:
http://www.amazon.com/Concealed-Fram.../dp/B000KPZC80

Every once in a while I need to tighten up the screws as they work
loose. So I was thinking of putting something on the screws to keep
them from loosening up. Anybody ever try something that works? I was
thinking a little silicone in the screw hole would hold them and still
be removeable.

Silicone is a reasonably good lubricant, so I wouldn't expect it to hold
the
screws tighter. I believe I'd first try screws that are longer, thicker,
or
both.

Sorry about the earlier blank posts.

For whatever reason the screws are not 'standard' wood screws. They
have a very harsh thread pattern more like particle board or MDF
screws. They are also only about 5/8 long. Longer screws are probably
the best idea plus it will give me an excuse to order something from
McFeeley's.

BTW by silicone I meant silicone caulk. If it holds well enough to
make a car jack necessary to remove a sink I figured it should hold a
screw.