Posted to rec.woodworking
resrfglc resrfglc is offline

Default Best way to attach a solid wood tabletop....

"The design doesn't allow for a skirt."

OK, then, mortise and tenon with dowels, too. To secure tenons in mortises.
Lots of interest and lots of stability & strength.

Rabbit out the legs to allow "the box" to recess into the legs which will
add strength and stability again as well as an interesting construction
detail.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Actually there are support for the legs. It's basically a box. The 4
legs are screwed into the box on the 4 corners with about 6 inches
above the box and 2 inches below. The tabletop sits on the tops of the
4 legs.
resrfglc wrote:
Not sure why the design fails to provide for supports for legs, but you
know
best.

Would design allow you to tenon tops of legs and mortise top so that part
of
leg came through the top?

Or use a round tenon and Forstner bit so end of leg inserts into top but
does NOT protrude/show through?

Alternatively, could you put the "skirt interior to the legs so it would
be
hidden, but still provide some support?

wrote in message
ups.com...
What would you guys recommend to attach a solid red oak (42"x20"x1.25"-
3 boards glued) table top to 4 - 1.75"x1.75" legs. The design doesn't
allow for a skirt. Is there some sort of recommended hardware I could
find at Home Depot or an Ace? The plans show a sort of figure 8 piece
of metal that I've never seen before. What would the wood movement
considerations be. I think it would be considered end grain (top of
legs) into long grain (table top). Thanks for the help. It's my first
real project, so sorry for the stupid noob question. Thanks!