Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Questions regarding 240v outlet

Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 19 Dec 2006 18:50:39 -0800, "farseer"
wrote:

Hello,

in my home are a few 240v outlets that used to serve air conditioners.
We now have a central air system, so those outlets are no longer
needed.

Can i leave the 240v outlets as is and plug any old device into them?
For instance, if i were to plug my alarm clock into that outlet, what
would happen?

How can iconvert them to 120v outlets? is it simply a matter of using
only one of the two hot wires to wire a new 15 or 20 am outlet?

thanks much

Is there a neutral wire at those outlets, or just the 2 hots? You'd
need neutral for 120V.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"

If you're changing to 120V, you can repurpose the other hot as your
neutral (suitably marked of course). Indeed if this is a single run that
served a window A/C it's probably 12/2 w/ ground with the white wire
tagged black or red with tape.

Pete C.