Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Air Tools for woodworking

"keyridge" wrote in message
ps.com...

I have a 6.5 HP compressor and looking at purchasing some air tools,
i.e. ROS. I understand the lack of moving parts for the air ROS has a
longer shelf life. Are there other advantages/ disadvantages of air vs.
power tools? Do any of you use air ROS for woodworking? Any recommended
air tool manufacturers for woodworkers? Primarily wood but may use it
on occasion for auto.

I use both air and electric tools, because I have both. I use my DA for a
ROS, since I already have it handy for doing body work. I also have enough
compressor to run a DA for extended periods. They are very demanding of
compressor delivery, so if you're even thinking of air tools, look at the
SCFM requirements of the tools and then go home and see what your compressor
delivers.

If you don't have another use for air tools, I wouldn't suggest going that
route. You're tied to an air compressor instead of an outlet, and that
makes the tool much less portable for you. There's no real compelling
advantage to the air tool, so why bother?

If you're going to do occasional body work, depending on the scale of the
work you'll be doing, you can likely get by with an electric ROS. The big
draw back here is that if you're sanding down fillers and the likes, you
have to be mindful of the fine dust that gets inside the tool case. Keep it
blown out well. Air tools don't suffer this problem. But, if you're going
to use it on a car once every couple or few years, there's hardly a point in
owning the air tools.

--

-Mike-