Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Air Tools for woodworking

keyridge wrote:
I have a 6.5 HP compressor and looking at purchasing some air tools,
i.e. ROS. I understand the lack of moving parts for the air ROS has a
longer shelf life. Are there other advantages/ disadvantages of air vs.
power tools? Do any of you use air ROS for woodworking? Any recommended
air tool manufacturers for woodworkers? Primarily wood but may use it
on occasion for auto.

I have one of those "6.5 Horsepower" compressors too. I bought a
random orbit air sander from the Borg and found that the sander seemed
to bog down easily and didn't seem as powerful as my Porter Cable 5"
electric. A quality air sander may have done better. Also, the
compressor couldn't keep up with the air use of the sander. I've been
using my electric ROS and never looked back. It seems to me that the
electric version is pretty hard to improve on.

DonkeyHody
"You just don't know a man until you've divided an inheritance with
him." - Mark Twain