Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Questions regarding 240v outlet

farseer wrote:
I don't know yet as i haven't opened them up. Assuming there is, i can
simply arbitrarily select one hot and the neutral wire those two to the
new 120v outlet, correct?

Going back to my other question, what if i plugged an alarm clock into
that 240v outlet as it is today, would that do any harm?

The plug should not fit. If you forced it somehow, the clock would
almost certainly be destroyed, perhaps spectacularly.

On Dec 19, 10:25 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 19 Dec 2006 18:50:39 -0800, "farseer"
wrote:

Hello,

in my home are a few 240v outlets that used to serve air conditioners.
We now have a central air system, so those outlets are no longer
needed.

Can i leave the 240v outlets as is and plug any old device into them?
For instance, if i were to plug my alarm clock into that outlet, what
would happen?

How can iconvert them to 120v outlets? is it simply a matter of using
only one of the two hot wires to wire a new 15 or 20 am outlet?

thanks muchIs there a neutral wire at those outlets, or just the 2 hots? You'd

need neutral for 120V.

Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"