Posted to alt.home.repair
farseer farseer is offline

Default Questions regarding 240v outlet

I don't know yet as i haven't opened them up. Assuming there is, i can
simply arbitrarily select one hot and the neutral wire those two to the
new 120v outlet, correct?

Going back to my other question, what if i plugged an alarm clock into
that 240v outlet as it is today, would that do any harm?

On Dec 19, 10:25 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 19 Dec 2006 18:50:39 -0800, "farseer"
wrote:

Hello,

in my home are a few 240v outlets that used to serve air conditioners.
We now have a central air system, so those outlets are no longer
needed.

Can i leave the 240v outlets as is and plug any old device into them?
For instance, if i were to plug my alarm clock into that outlet, what
would happen?

How can iconvert them to 120v outlets? is it simply a matter of using
only one of the two hot wires to wire a new 15 or 20 am outlet?

thanks muchIs there a neutral wire at those outlets, or just the 2 hots? You'd

need neutral for 120V.

Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"