Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Dodd Mike Dodd is offline

Default DIY home cinema screen

SirBenjamin wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:19:17 -0000, "Ron Lowe"
wrote:

Hi, all.

I've borrowed a projector for the xmas period, and am setting up a temporary
home cinema for the kids ( and me! ). The wall is not great as a screen,
so I was going to make a simple one. I was going to get a thin sheet of
cheap MDF or hardboard, and paint it.

The various AV forums suggest painting the screen material with Dulux
"IceStorm 5 or 6", which can be mixed at any shed.

The question is: how best to apply the paint to minimise texturing?

Texturing is OK under diffuse light, but is rather ruthlessly revealed under
intense projector light.
I've always thought rollers give a rather textured finish, but then again,
brushes can leave brush-strokes too.
I don't have an air gun, but could possibly borrow one. ( cue horrid
orange-peel effects from inexperienced air-brusher. )
I am also suspicious that 'regular' emulsion paints will not work well in an
air gun, for reasons unspecified. Bung them up, or something?

Which would you do: brush or roller, or air gun?

Buy a roller blind with a plain backing on one side...cheaper than
buyinf MDF and paint.

.... aka Blackout blind - My first screen was one of these, black backing
with white face. It sufficed for a short while before convincing me I
needed something much better. They suffer greatly from rippling -
particularly bad for front projection and far worse than that you'd
encounter from orange-peel / brush strokes etc.

Try it, for a short period you might find it works okay.

Re. mdf/hardboard - I wouldn't use hardboard unless you can keep it
flat, whilst mounted (flex being similar, but less pronounced than the
blind ripples), as far as "perfect" screen colour goes, for a short-term
solution, if Icestorm is pricey / hard to get (I think I priced it at
around £20 for the amount I'd need, a few years ago now) then any paint
should do. I'd avoid brilliant white, though Although try to keep
the amount of colour in the paint to a minimum.