Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Reynolds Al Reynolds is offline

Default Joining mains cable with crimps

"rob" wrote in message
ps.com...

I was always told not to use crimps on a single conductor cable, A
junction box would be a better solution.
Rob

Not if it will be inaccessible later e.g. buried in plaster.

Heatshrink-wise, see:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....edf1b1 b50554
(short link : http://tinyurl.com/yggqub)

On the strength of this I decided to only sleeve the whole thing in
adhesive heat shrink. This is a lot less complicated, as it happens.
I used:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...08 &doy=20m12
(short link : http://tinyurl.com/ybao9d)

I think I used the largest of these - they shrink quite a bit, and they
need to be big enough to get over the crimps in the first place.

HTH,
Al

PS It's a good idea to practice crimping on some spare cable.
Don't be afraid to give the connection a good yank - if it comes
apart then you're not doing it right. If some conductor is exposed
at the end of the crimps, bear in mind this might just be the sleeve
on the conductor moving.

PPS
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....b5b927 9a4cbd
(short link : http://tinyurl.com/yjtd6x) might also be useful.