Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki Contents

Grunff wrote:
wrote:

Tbh I think we've got what we need already. From what I've read doku
seemed a less developed and slightly less user friendly wiki, but maybe
you could give us some clues on whats better about it.

Well, I think from a technical POV, from a data organisation
perspective, they both suck hugely. I find it hard to understand why
information is being stored and organised in this semi-random fashion.

Having said that, I will explain why I think DW is better than MW, at
least for the purposes of an FAQ or similar.

The first reason is categorisation - DW uses 'namespaces', which are
effectively article categories. These are more intuitive and easier to
create than the 'categories' you can create in MW.

Second, navigation. There are quite a few plugins available for DW which
deal with navigation. I've installed one, in two different formats,
which displays the entire content as a tree - you can see this in the
left hand menu and the contents section of the main page.

Third, access control. It provides a greater level of access control,
which is easier to admin than MW. By this I mean who has what edit
rights over which articles/sections.

They are both up there, and I will leave them both there until everyone
who is interested has had a look and commented. At the end of this
period, I'll remove one and stick with one.

Its worth saying there are downsides to doku too. One is the way it
handles what are questionably described as edit collisions (or
something similar). Having played with mediawiki, several timss it
thought one edit had temporally wrapped round another, when in fact it
just wasnt keeping track of editing well enough. Doku's response to
this is to lock any further editing. So if we had doku, many of the
pages there now would have been stopped in their tracks due simply to
poor edit tracking.

If people look at ikimatrix and compare media with doku, side by side,
medi has almost all the plus points. If wikimatrix is anything to go
by, the doku mostly has plugins for functions mediawiki has built in
already.

I can see the plus points in a contents with tree, but I can see issues
with it too. Mediawiki is able to provide category listings too, as
well as a list all pages function, and a plus is that afaic see one can
structure the article tree after writing, and structure it pretty well
any way you want, move articles from one category to another, have them
in multiple categories and so on, IOW its both eaiser and more
flexible.

FWLIW I also found doku less intuitive and more difficult to use. This
will put some off contributing imho.

At the end of that day tho, I'm sure either will work and do the job.

NT