Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Main water shutoff help

I know you didn't ask, but I'll offer this advice anyway:

Never turn a shutoff fully on or fully off. Always back it off about an
1/8 of a turn from it's full stop.

Many times a shutoff will seize up from not being used and you want a
little play in both directions to free it up. If it seizes against it's
full stop, you may not be able to wiggle it free.

Is this by any chance what's wrong with your main?

DJA wrote:
My inside water shutoff valve is not working. I need to shutoff the
outside valve and I don't know what I'm looking at. I see a flat ring
"cap" with a 5 sided bolt in the center. It says "Hays-Erie" Water
around the top. Is this the shutoff or just the nut to hold on the cap?
This head sits on top of a pipe approx 2" in diameter coming straight up
from the ground.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
David