Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Flourescent lights humming?

In article m, David
Nebenzahl wrote in part:

I've used all kinds of compact fluorescents, a real mongrel collection
including some I got for a buck from one of those
everything-made-in-China dollar stores, and *none* of them have ever
hummed. (Nor whistled.)

I have tried 57 "models" of 19 "brands" of $.99-$2 compact fluorescents
from dollar stores, and none have met their claims of light output. Some
that I got fell short of claimed light output by a factor of more than 3,
regardless of time spent warming up and room temperature. None
significantly outshone a 40 watt 120V "standard" incandescent. Most did
not claim to be UL listed, and most did not have FCC IDs. Some that came
in packages saying "softwarm white light" produced a cold bluish
"daylight" light. Most of the few that actually had a warm color had low
color rendering index. A couple of them failed quickly and spectacularly.

I would advise to use compact fluorescents other than $.99-$2 ones from
dollar stores.

- Don Klipstein )