Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,alt.building.construction
marc rosen marc rosen is offline

Default Floating a 3/4" Solid Hardwood Floor Over Above Grade Concrete?

Hello Marc,
It's Marc from recdotwindsurfing (and the old King of The Cape days. I
miss going to the Brazilian Grill in Hyannis). How are you and
Iyesha? I've seen some of your windsurf posts on recdot recently.
Sorry I don't have any advice for your floor question. But now if you
want to know how much downhaul to put on your sail, well maybe.
Take care and Merry Christmas/Happy New Year.

T.O.M. (The Other Marc)

wrote:
I am interested in floating a solid hardwood plank floor (3/4" x 3").
Has anyone successfully done this? I am leary of glue down application
onto the above grade cement slab. Here in Hawaii we have alot of
moister in the air and I feel that allowing the the floor to shrink and
grow and generally allowed to roam is a better option than locking it
down which then could lead to buckling and other nasty things. Plus
wood floors are supposed to give and take underfoot and not fee like
contrete.

I have successful tried this in a small room in the house for testing
and all went well and it has been over a year with no issues to date. I
left 1/2" gap all round the room for expansion space. Now, I want to do
the main living room which is a lager space and higher traffic area.
What are your thoughts, ideas, recomendations, and concerns?

-Marc