Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Stanley Plane

Not to highly skilled with planes, eh?

"charlie b" wrote in message
CW wrote:

So, now that Phil-in-MI has made you believe that it is totally

worthless,
send it to me and I will have it making fine curlies in less than an

hour.

OK - so that gets him a sharp iron (stamped steel), and, if the
bottom's
sort of flat, a flat sole. But that 1/4 inch plus throat's going to
take
some imaginative modification - one sided curlies are easier to
create
with a bit tighter throat. Then there's the combined sheet metal
cap lever/chip breaker tucked under that rod through the blane body,
with its tightening spur bolt thing. Turn it to lock the iron in
place -
but move the iron as you tighten it. Now you've got the cutting edge
skewed - with a sharp corner ready to create a nice groove in your
wood. Oh, and you might want to ease the top and bottom of the
back edge of the stamped steel iron cause it's going to be pressing
into the heal of your hand. If you have no problem setting the depth
of cut on a japanese plane (or one of Steve Knights woodies), setting
and adjusting the depth of cut on this plane should be no problem
at all - only not as easy.

Or, you can put it on a book shelf or in a display cabinet and smile
and think of your dad every time you see it - and pick up a useful
block plane at the flea market or garage sale for under $20.

charlie b