Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff Grunff is offline

Default Wiki Contents

wrote:

Tbh I think we've got what we need already. From what I've read doku
seemed a less developed and slightly less user friendly wiki, but maybe
you could give us some clues on whats better about it.

Well, I think from a technical POV, from a data organisation
perspective, they both suck hugely. I find it hard to understand why
information is being stored and organised in this semi-random fashion.

Having said that, I will explain why I think DW is better than MW, at
least for the purposes of an FAQ or similar.

The first reason is categorisation - DW uses 'namespaces', which are
effectively article categories. These are more intuitive and easier to
create than the 'categories' you can create in MW.

Second, navigation. There are quite a few plugins available for DW which
deal with navigation. I've installed one, in two different formats,
which displays the entire content as a tree - you can see this in the
left hand menu and the contents section of the main page.

Third, access control. It provides a greater level of access control,
which is easier to admin than MW. By this I mean who has what edit
rights over which articles/sections.

They are both up there, and I will leave them both there until everyone
who is interested has had a look and commented. At the end of this
period, I'll remove one and stick with one.

--
Grunff