Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default 220 over 12 gauge

wrote:
Thanks all, I learned something today. The rest of the install was so
messed up that even if I had a need for 220 out there, I would have
wanted to redo it. My inspector missed the extra several feet of
wiring just tucked into the eaves. And the use of a light switch above
the garage door (7' off the floor) to somehow control the outside
lights, though I'm not sure how.

Also, if you're taking notes, running romex on top of a board in your
garage eaves and holding it in place by laying a piece of drywall on
it, is not the best way to secure it.

When amateur electricians get inventive we do some crazy things.

Nothing you've described so far comes even close to "crazy" in the
sense of being any safety hazard whatsoever. I'd suspect from the
sounds of it the previous owner probably had a reason for the switch
being where it was, and as for a few extra feet of wire coiled up in an
eave space and the wire tucked up out of the way, as previously noted,
it was in all likelihood done that way on purpose w/ the idea of being
able to move the outlet at some future time. I've many such similar
"features" in shop/barn/shed areas as we speak (although I will admit I
don't have anything being held anywhere by a piece of drywall ) ,
but doesn't sound like the situation you describe would be any worse if
the wire were simply laying there. If there's no access, I don't
believe there's any code requirement that the wire be fastened.

Not that neatness isn't a desirable trait and is quite important for a
whole-house installation and has advantages even in adding a branch
circuit, lack of it doesn't by and in of itself, constitute a hazard.