Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Snyder Chris Snyder is offline

Default Flourescent lights humming?

Don Klipstein wrote:
I aslo advise that results will gnenerally be better if:
1. The CFLs are of one of the "Big 3" major brands. [...]

I've had the worst experience with the major brands. Sylvania and GE
bulbs in particular have given me nothing but grief (two GE three-ways
and one Sylvania died within a week of purchase, out of four bulbs
purchased total). The off-brands bought from the store haven't done
great either, though. I've had better success with bulbs bought online.
Greenlite has been the best to me so far, with eight or so bulbs doing
very well (though they're older, mechanically ballasted, so some of
them buzz a tiny bit).

2. The CFLs have an "Energy Star" rating/qualification. [...]

Agreed. This is the best way to ensure that the bulbs will be
instant-on, flicker-free, silent, and reliable.

-Chris Snyder