Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Cracked wood - OK to use?

James
There is no one answer in a case like this. Personally I would likely cut
along the crack line and use the wood for something else. I have tried the
other route and have never been happy with the results. I would rather work
with a wide crack as a design feature than a hairline, but that is just me.
This is personal business.
If you go the route of using thin CA to stabilize the crack and then turn,
continue to use the glue as you turn the bowl. It may have wicked all the
way in first time but then agian it may not. Remember that it will show up
in a wood like maple and that many finishes will make it even more obvious.
Which ever way you do it, the turning will be fun. Nothing to lose so go for
it.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"James Krzanowski" wrote in message
I have a maple bowl blank that is 8x8x4 in size. The probelm is there is a
hairline crack that has appeared on the end grain. It runs from the top
surface to the bottom near the center of the piece. On the top and bottom
surfaces, the crack extends about 2 inches in on one side and one inch on
the other. If the crack was to further extend through the piece, I would
roughly end up with two 4x4x8 blanks.
Should I (1) proceed with the bowl turning anyway or (2) Cut it into the
4x4x8 pieces and do something else with it? If I go the bowl route, what
precautions should I take? Thanks