Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default What can be used for resealing partially used contents: glue, paint...

For gallon cans, I always cut a circle of aluminum foil, using the bottom of
the can as a cutting guide. Then I slide the foil disk on top of the paint
to form an artificial skin. The paint will dry a little at the edges but
that seals the rest of the paint in the can. Don't tip or tilt the can and
the paint will last for years without any deterioration. This will work with
quart cans, but getting the foil disk in place is much trickier, but can be
done with care.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:53:48 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Oldest trick in the book.

Propane is heavier than air.

I do the same with varnishes and oil based paints, using Wine Saver or
Bloxygen, a canned inert gas. On latex paint, I cover the top of the
liquid with a piece of Saran Wrap. With lacquer and shellac, I do
nothing, as it will redissolve in it's solvent.

Folks with bottled argon often use it to blanket finishes.

I don't bother with glues, as I use it fast enough.