Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Hodges Chris Hodges is offline

Default DIY home cinema screen

Clive George wrote:
"Ron Lowe" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message

The question is: how best to apply the paint to minimise texturing?

Texturing is OK under diffuse light, but is rather ruthlessly
revealed under intense projector light.

I've projected onto plain walls in the past (16mm film). Others have
mentioned similar experiences : that one thinks it's going to look
awful, but in practice it isn't a problem.

I agree in general, however it rather depends on the wall!

Films are rather different to projecting computer images - the latter
are more likely to have large steady areas of block colour, giving
you time to notice problems, whereas films have movement and texture
of their own which hides imperfections in the screen.

This wall is heavily textured, and streaked with odd colours.
Some horrendous 70s leftover.
( Yes,it will be re-done at some point! )

I've actually got the projector in place, and it's not satisfactory.
So I'm going to set up something better.

Fair enough - but my point also applies to the texture of your proposed
painted board - ie the texture introduced by eg a roller won't be a
problem.

cheers,
clive

agreed - "fine" rollered matt white works pretty well (even for
powerpoint type stuff) provided the ambient light level is low enough.
I haven't tried satin myself but it should be OK.
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com