Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Cracked wood - OK to use?

"James Krzanowski" wrote in message
I have a maple bowl blank that is 8x8x4 in size. The probelm is there is a
hairline crack that has appeared on the end grain. It runs from the top
surface to the bottom near the center of the piece. On the top and bottom
surfaces, the crack extends about 2 inches in on one side and one inch on
the other. If the crack was to further extend through the piece, I would
roughly end up with two 4x4x8 blanks.
Should I (1) proceed with the bowl turning anyway or (2) Cut it into the
4x4x8 pieces and do something else with it? If I go the bowl route, what
precautions should I take? Thanks

If it is only a hairline, you can wick water-thin CA glue into it to hold as
you turn. Important to renew the wicking periodically as you continue
turning, and to ensure that the stuff is cured before you spin it onto your
arm and whatever else you might have in the way when you power back up.

You want, as always, to stay out of the throw zone as you turn, and no music
or ear defenders, as you're interested in the slightest change in impact
tone or a "tick" should the side of the crack slip like the San Andreas. If
it does, it's your decision whether or not to glue and continue.

If you want to use the crack as a "feature," and you have an idea of where
the rim of the bowl may be, bore a hole across it and chisel for a
Nakashima dovetail in contrasting wood.