Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default If It Weren't For Christmas (Birthdays, Weddings, etc.)

Wow... it depends on what I am doing and what mood I am in to see if I
will part with anything or not. I was on a jag there for a while that
since I didn't need the lathe I bought I would turn and sell things.
So like Joe, I started turning ornaments and gift goodies. Thankfully,
SO kept some of them as she thought they were wonderful since they were
handmade. Looking at them, I honestly don't remember turning them so
that is how I got in the habit of dating what I turn.

Then I moved on to gift stuff. Clocks, more ornaments, etc., for
family and friends. Then I noticed while turning one day that I really
enjoyed making pens. So, wanting more gouges and chisels, I decided
that I would make pens, lots of pens, and what I sold I would use to
upgrade and add to my turning tools. It worked great. I sold a lot of
pens and paid for tools, new VicMarc chuck, etc.

Layed off making anything to sell as I got tired of it. Went back to
turning ornaments and small bowls for family and friends (giftware).
Decided I really like turning spoons and spatulas on the lathe, and
turned a bunch of those with the intent to sell them. However, they
were confiscated by the management, and all of them sit on the bar
where everyone can see them. Made quite a few, gave a couple away, and
the rest are in use.

Bought some confetti lamp kits at Craft Supplies. Love to make those
lamps and as gifts they got raves. The kit comes with the lamp, a
wick, a funnel and small bottle of lamp oil, so it is a complete gift
when you add your 0.02 to the deal. Easy and fun, you can make 2 - 3
a day with no sweat. So I made a lot of them and offered them for
sale. Made almost a grand last year selling them, and used the
proceeds to buy some more tools and second Vic chuck with long nosed
jaws.

I have a lot of lamp pulls left over from another spate or interest I
went through and I am giving the last of those away as stocking
stuffers this year.

As for the projects that don't make the grade, they either work out as
part of another project, a practice piece for testing grinds, firewood,
or depending on the type of wood, used in the BBQ pit.

Not too much laying around. My problem is all my "treasure wood"
(read: found) that I have waiting to be turned. I have a lot of it,
and it is getting to be a problem because I don't want to part with any
of it. If I never accepted or found another piece for the next 5 years
I would have plenty of wood for me.

Robert