Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flourescent lights humming?

Chad spake thus:

I just put 3 flourescent replacement lights in my bathroom (shaped like a
spiral, meant to replace the incandescent bulb in the same socket).

When I turn on the power there is a very audible hum. I know that
flourescent's can hum but did not think it would be this bad. Is the
humming a possible indactor of another problem? I can't have a bulb that
makes this sound in a small bathroom.

As others have said, take it back where you bought it.

I've used all kinds of compact fluorescents, a real mongrel collection
including some I got for a buck from one of those
everything-made-in-China dollar stores, and *none* of them have ever
hummed. (Nor whistled.)

The most annoying CFLs I have are the 20-watters I got at Ikea, back
when they were the cheapest place to get them. They light OK, but they
take several seconds to come on. I can get halfway across the room
before they light up.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)