Posted to alt.home.repair
Chad Chad is offline

Default Flourescent lights humming?

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In article , Chad wrote:

I just put 3 flourescent replacement lights in my bathroom (shaped like a
spiral, meant to replace the incandescent bulb in the same socket).

When I turn on the power there is a very audible hum. I know that
flourescent's can hum but did not think it would be this bad. Is the
humming a possible indactor of another problem? I can't have a bulb that
makes this sound in a small bathroom.

The spirals normally do not do this humming, bit I have found a couple
that did. One was a 27 watt model and the other was a 30 watt model.

I have also known heat buildup problems in some fixtures with higher
wattages, and even some complaints of early failures of 42 watt ones
operated base-up apparently resulting from heat. I also saw a possibly
heat-related failure of a 24 watt spiral, and those have been replaced by
23 watt ones due to improvements in efficiency of the electronics.

In addition, I have seen a slight trend of color of spirals being
slightly harsher with higher wattages as wattage increases past 23 watts.

As a result of all of this data, I might suggest to use 23 watt ones if
you were using a higher wattage. 23 watt spirals have light output a
little over halfway from "75 watts" to "100 watts" of "standard
incandescent" "equivalence".

The next step down in wattage in spirals is the 18-20 watt range, with
18 or 19 now being the norm here. Those have light output about that of
75 watt 120V "standard incandescents".

- Don Klipstein )

Thanks for the info. These are 23 watt bulbs (100 watt equivalent), brand
is "Bright Effects" item# 153972. I tried in a diffrent socket and all for
bulbs (was a 4-pack) still have the hum.

Will have to take them back to Lowe's. I hope they don't give me any
problems becase the package is mangled.

Sounds like you are saying that going with a lower wattage might reduce the
hum. I like the brightness though so I might try another brand and see if I
get lucky since you and others say that a hum is not typical.

Thanks for the reply.