Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician Tom Horne, Electrician is offline

Default Electrical Code Question - Buried wire

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message
An electrician is burying an unprotected UF-B wire on my property. In
places it is approximately 4" (yes inches) below grade. I am quite

certain
this does not meet code. Can anyone tell me:
Minimum depth for buried wire w/no conduit
Minimum depth with electrical PVC Conduit
Minimum depth with electrical emt Conduit

Thanks!!

Generally speaking 24" is minimum for UF (18" for one and two family homes)
and 18" for PVC.

I don't find the exception for one and two family homes in the 2005 NEC.

EMT is not permitted for direct burial

John, do you have a Code cite for that? I'm not disputing you, I'm curious. I
didn't think it was permitted, either, but I couldn't find anything that said
one way or the other. Article 358.10(B) says it's permitted "in direct contact
with the earth" but doesn't mention burial; but 358.12 does not list burial as
a use not permitted.

It is permissible to bury EMT when it has corrosion protection suitable
for conditions. The inspector is likely to require you to wrap the EMT
in protective tape. There is PVC clad rigid conduit that is both
better protection and more corrosion resistant. If you don't need the
metal raceway for some good electrical reason such as noise protection
for communications circuits then Rigid Nonmetallic Conduit (PVC) is the
way to go.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison