Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] whit3rd@gmail.com is offline

Default Making (sewing notions) drawers with clear plastic faces

bent wrote:
If I were to make a huge cabinet to store all of the sewing motions kicking
around the house, and I would want to use clear plastic drawer fronts

Good question, this; it stretches the imagination.

For a small drawer (less than 3"x5" front) a face frame won't work
well; the wood wants to be several grain-spacings deep at all
points, for strength. One could box-joint or dovetail a wood
front with routed inset for the polymer at 3x5 or larger.

How about a thru-dovetailed front in plastic? You could
drill/pin with a nail, or use suitable glue (dark adhesive caulk?).
The dovetails would work OK with a bandsaw in polycarbonate
plastic. You might be able to chisel it, even, with a hot-blade
cutter (this is a common bit in soldering-gun kits).

Or for a small drawer, maybe bend the plastic to make front/bottom/back
in one piece and glue wooden sides on? The full joint size would be
large
enough that glue strength isn't critical. Dipping the plastic in
a kettle of boiling water will soften it in a few seconds, then
clamp it to a form to cool. Remember that your form has to allow a
radius for the bend! I've always liked being able to see through the
bottom of a drawer full of parts.