Posted to alt.home.repair
Paulaner Paulaner is offline

Default Broke the wife's ceramic cooktop just before christmas

I dropped something heavy on the GE radiant ceramic cooktop (model
JP989B0D4BB) today, and took out the left 2 burners with cracked
glass. The wife is going to kill me as we have a couple dozen
relatives invited for Christmas dinner.

The GE manual and website says I have to schedule a service guy to
come out and fix this, so I called and booked the earliest date on the
29th (argh). My experience with GE service is that they will fed-ex
the new part and then a tech will call to confirm it arrived. I
praying that this part arrives before the 25th, and I can do this
myself, then tell them to just send me a bill instead of coming over.

The only other idea I have is to go out and buy a new cooktop asap. I
installed this one myself and could do it again. The only problem
with that is she may kill me twice for the visa bill in January.

I'm not confident in my plan, and I open to advice from the masses.