Posted to alt.home.repair
w_tom w_tom is offline

Default Whole house surge suppressor -- Tytewadd??

L Ectro wrote:
Hey, I can change my nick to whatever I wish to, and if you noticed, I'm
still:
Pop`

An old Rush Limbaugh trick is to attack and accuse so that the others
will not notice the accuser has insufficient technical grasp. Pop'
who also pretends to be L Ectro denies obvious dangers from daisy
chaining power strips. Dangers that anyone with technical knowledge
has long since understood.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...11/ai_n8959523
An electrical failure in an overloaded power strip in an elementary
school classroom ignited a late-night fire that damaged the
structure. Appliances and an extension cord to other power strips
were plugged into the power strip of origin. ...

Investigators found that a series of power strips providing electricity
to several pieces of equipment in a classroom overheated a cord
and ignited wooden cabinets.

Danger from daisy chaining is common knowledge. Daisy chaining power
strip protectors (which was the original question) is even worse
because a plug-in protector does nothing useful while promoted as if it
will stop or absorb surges.

Another has suggested, using word phrasing, that Pop' may also have
posted here under a third name. Purpose? To deceive others. This
time Pop', whose ethics now have no problem posting as if different
people in a same discussion, Pop' got caught.

Meanwhile point-of-use surge suppressors are dangerous when daisy
chained, are undesireable as demonstrated in scary pictures:
http://www.westwhitelandfire.com/Art...Protectors.pdf
http://www.hanford.gov/rl/?page=556&parent=554
http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/movs.html
http://www.nmsu.edu/~safety/programs...tectorfire.htm
and are not earthed with or without three wire (safety grounded) wall
receptacles.

Power strip without 'protector' components and with an essential 15
amp circuit breaker only should be used. Effective surge protection
(with two wire or three wire receptacles) is accomplished by a properly
earthed 'whole house' protector. Earthing defines that protection.