Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] dragonhollow@earthlink.net is offline

Default Buying an Exotic Wood Store

On Dec 11, 2:49 pm, "Never Enough Money" wrote:
I'm considering buying an exotic wood store. He caters to furniture
makers. If I buy it, I'd like to start also selling to turners. So
where do turners (I'm not one) buy their wood? Mail order, internet,
local stores?

I used to manage the Paxton's Woodcrafters store in Kansas City, Mo. I
can tell you from personal experience that turners are tighter than two
coats of paint. Since I am a turner myself, I tried to carry a fairly
good selection of exotics and turning stock. I managed that store for
3 years and I saw a couple of turners maybe once or twice. I did have
a clearance sale so that I could get rid of alot of the dead stock and
they all came out of the woodwork (so to speak). I continued to carry
exotic lumber but not much else and I never saw another turner again.
Take it for what it's worth and good luck to you.

Alex