Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] whit3rd@gmail.com is offline

Default What can be used for resealing partially used contents: glue, paint...

bent wrote:
I am just wondering if I anyone has suggestions for a re-usable containers,
or cheap enough, or commonly available so you can get rid of the extra air
in mostly used containers.

Two kinds of glue, silicone RTV and polyurethane (Gorilla Glue etc.),
are
water-catalyzed. So they keep fine in a DRY environment. A paint can
with
some dessicant (I used lab dessicant, CaSO4 type) can make a storage
environment for long periods. That paint-can seal is rather good (buy
a new paint can, though; my used paintcans never look particularly
reusable).

Once I took a knife to the side of an RTV tube (after the tip cured
solid),
and scooped out what I needed. Popped the remnant, gashed side
and all, into the paint can. It was stil gooey and fresh months later.