Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Guarino Greg Guarino is offline

Default using polyfilla around a rawlplug

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 19:13:23 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Percival P. Cassidy
writes
On 12/18/06 09:14 am Doug Miller wrote:

Brits have a tendency to use a 'specific' brand name-item for the generic;
thus we 'hoover' the carpet - even using a Dyson.
Happens here, too. The most prominent examples I can think of a
- Facial tissues (for blowing one's nose, or wiping one's
eyeglasses). Everyone here calls them Kleenex. Nobody ever asks for a
"facial tissue".
- Photocopiers. Most commonly referred to as Xerox machines, even if
made by Canon, Rico, etc.
- Carbonated cola beverage. Usually called a Coke. Even if it's a Pepsi.

The last of these is regional: in some parts of the USA they are all
"coke," in others all "soda," and in yet others all "pop."

Better is in Germany where any fizzy drink is "Limonade"

even "Orange Limonade"

Even Cola Limonade, if memory serves.

Greg Guarino