Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Gas or Electric Heat?

Hi Jim,

they will pass those higher costs right straight
to you plus any allowed profit margin.

Of course, but so do the oil companies...

We are all electric here (heat, hot water, lighting, appliances, etc.), and
only pay $109 per month for our 1456 square foot home. And we're not exactly
"frugal" with our electric usage. Still, compared to our other bills, that's
one of the cheaper ones.

What about short circuits. rotting insulation on old wiring, bad
equipment, and similar problems. All heat sources have some kind of
problems, usually worsening with age of heaters.

True, I guess it's just what you're more comfortable with.

The wall mounted electric's I had several years ago definitely would
collect dust and smell terrible when first turned on in fall.

The wall heaters don't have filters like a furnace, but they should still be
vacuumed clean once or twice a year. There's still a slight amount of dust
smell that first time they are turned on, but it's a one time deal that goes
away quickly.

Agreed, if the power is on

That's why we also have a backup woodstove. We actually just had a
windstorm knock out the power for a couple of hours last week. The woodstove
kept us warm and cozy.

Of course, with electric, I could also install a backup generator if I had
the desire and money.

My drive was 300 ft. long, and I stayed fairly warm
for two days digging out to the street.

Ours is about 150 feet. I can relate...

Anthony