Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default 2nd panel running off of primary electrical panel

In article , "Toller" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article , "Toller"
wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
I want to connect a second electrical panel in my house. I am going to
run
it from a 40 amp breaker in my main panel. The second panel I bought has
100 amp main breaker in it. Is it code to keep that breaker in there? I
assume it is redundant and would only act as a switch if I wanted to do
some servicing in the 2nd panel.

You bought a main panel instead of a subpanel. That was a small mistake
since you are paying for a breaker you won't be using (but won't do any
harm
either) and will have to buy a separate neutral bus.

Actually, it already has a neutral bus. If he has to buy anything, it will
be
a grounding bus -- and it probably already has one of those too.

If he had bought a subpanel, he'd certainly have to buy a separate bus,
and
might have wound up spending *more* money.

Take it back and buy the right thing if you can.

Phooey. There's nothing wrong with what he has now.

I just bought a subpanel with two buses. The main panels had one bus. But,
I am sure you are right everwhere but the Lowes I was in. Eventhough it
doesn't make sense.

Here's an example, described as a "Main Breaker Load Center", i.e. a main
panel:

http://contractorservices.homedepot....ts/ProductInfo.
aspx?cid=851951&pid=7b777006-021b-4a01-91bb-63b93a569c5d

You might need to click on "Enlarge" to see it... but there are definitely two
buses there.

--
Regards,