Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default If It Weren't For Christmas (Birthdays, Weddings, etc.)

charlie b wrote:

How good did you have to get before you started showing
people your turnings?

Not very. In fact, two years on down the road, I still have pieces like
that from time to time. But they are 'junk' that are better than I had
hoped to turn originally.

So what gets you to part with pieces?

Family and a couple of close friends can have anything not committed
already that brings a smile to their faces or a twinkle to their eyes.
I'll work for hugs or for a chance to give my Dad bragging rights.

But I also sell as much as I can for as much money as I can coax out of
someone. The more money they pay, the more likely I think they are to
treasure it. The lady who alters my suits could have bartered for a
couple of candle holders but instead she charged me $5.00 to replace a
clasp that I'm pretty sure she removed. She was pushing for a discount,
so I knocked $4 off each of them to arrive at the final price. Thus,
just in time for the gorge-yourself-for-free season, she got a $40 set
of stamped brass and tulip wood candle holders.

Although it's still pretty rough (and sparsely populated), I have a
website at http://nmwoodworks.com/ for those who still have money left
this late in the year. Next up: National Guilty Conscience Day (Feb. 14
in the U.S.). At this point in time, I can solemnly promise that
anything ordered from me will absolutely NOT arrive in time for
Christmas. So, if you want to mess with Uncle Freds' head, I'm the guy
to buy from. ;-)

What's posted thus far is stuff for which a 'going rate' is pretty much
standardized. The 'nice stuff' isn't posted yet. Bowls, cups, canes and
so on.

Bill

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0659-1, 12/16/2006
Tested on: 12/18/2006 2:06:27 PM